The Fire Department is proud to offer Asheboro citizens modern fire fighting services and programs aimed at reducing the effects of various types of emergencies, including training and fire education, the first responder program and the response to accidents involving hazardous materials.
Fire Inspections are also a vital part of maintaining community safety, and are conducted through staff of the City's Community Development Division.
The department offers program for commercial and industrial fire safety and response. Educational programs are also available for civic groups, school personnel, students and anyone with an interest in fire safety education. For information on these programs, call 336-626-4244.
Firefighters are also available to assist with the selection and placement of heat, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and may in some cases provide detectors and battery replacements, especially to the elderly, disabled persons or persons with other special needs.
Emergency Contact Information
The department has a secure computer program that allows firefighters to access property information during emergency situations. Whether you are a home owner, business owner or industry, this could be a great asset in case of emergency.
Key Box Program
The fire department sells secure key boxes that hold keys that may be needed by emergency personnel in case of an emergency. Many homes, schools, banks, churches, etc. have been using these for a number of years. They allow fire personnel to enter your home or property in an emergency while reducing the likelihood of the need to cause damage to the property in order to make entry.
Call the Fire Department if you are interested in participating in either of these programs.
History of the Department
The Fire Department was formed in 1911 as the Central Hose Company with Sulon B. Stedman as Chief, using only hand drawn carts; a water system was just installed in part of the City. The original fire station stood just a few feet north of the current City Hall.
Original Officers and Members:
W.J. Armfield, President
Sulon B. Stedman, Fire Chief
J.H. Kivette, WA. Coffin, C.M. Hayworth, Duke Smith, L.B. Lambert, F.F. Brittain, W.A. Hinshaw, Cary Lovett, W.H. Dickens, D.K. Lockhart, Fred McPherson, John Grey, A.J. Craven, D.M. Sharpe, O.V. Woosley
In 1920, a Republic hose wagon was purchased and Clarence Rush became Fire Chief. In 1923, a 750-gallon per minute American La France pumper was purchased for $12,000. This historic truck has been restored and is maintained by the City.
In 1939, the current city hall was built, including space for the fire department. Chief Rush and two firefighters became the first paid personnel. In 1955, the paid force was increased to a Chief and six firefighters, and in 1956 an upstairs addition was added for dormitory, living, and kitchen space.
In October 1961, Chief Rush died while driving the Chief's car on Sunset Avenue, having served 41 years as Chief. Many still remember and mention his distinguished appearance, the smell of his cigar, and his white hair. There are still rumors of him being seen around the stations or sitting on a fire truck or even harassing some of the newer members, especially at night.
John A. McGlohon was appointed to succeed Chief Rush and served as Chief until retiring on December 31, 1985. Chief McGlohon's tenure saw much growth and improvement in stations, equipment, personnel, and the services of the department, including:
1966 - First aerial apparatus
1968 - First fire prevention code
1970 - Bond election for a station and pumper
1970 - Merger with North Asheboro - Central Falls Sanitary District and Fire Department
1971 - Occupied two new fire stations with a force of 26 paid members, 25 volutneers and 4 dispatchers
1981 - Obtained the current Class 4 insurance rating for the City
On January 8, 1986, James W. (Jim) Smith became Chief and since that time the department has strived to maintain the high standard of service set by previous administrations.
In 1991, the department joined a county-wide dispatch system which became a 9-1-1 dispatch center on March 17, 1993.