Starting a Business
Completing a Change of Occupancy
This means that you’re starting a business in a location that was last permitted for that type of business (such as opening a restaurant in a building that was previously permitted for a restaurant)
1. Visit City Hall – 146 N. Church Street
- Start at the Planning & Zoning Department to complete a Change of Occupancy or Use form. You will need to provide the address of the location you plan to use and state what type of business you are planning to open. There is a $25 fee, which must be paid by cash or check.
- While in the Planning and Zoning Department, pick up a copy of the guide to the sign regulations and discuss your sign plans with staff.
- Visit the Fire Inspections Department & the Building Inspections Department to find out about code requirements and to schedule an inspection of your business
- While at the Building Inspections Department, obtain your Business Privilege License. If you are opening a new retail, wholesale or manufacturing business you will need to complete a Statement for Gross Receipts certifying your anticipated gross sales and/or receipts for the coming year. You will need to pay your license fee by cash or check.
2. Contact the Water Resources Technical Service Department concerning requirements for a Wastewater Discharge Permit (for all businesses) and grease control requirements (if you will be preparing food) by calling 336-672-0892 x 217.
3. If you plan to sell/serve alcoholic beverages in your business you will need an ABC Permit. Contact the NC Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission at 919-779-0700 for details.