Starting a Business
Completing a Change of Use
This means that you’re starting a business in a location that was not previously permitted for your type of business operation (such as turning an office building into an entertainment venue or changing an office building into an auto sales business)
1. Visit City Hall – 146 N. Church Street
- Start at the Planning & Zoning Department to complete a Change of Occupancy or Use form. There is a $250 fee for a Change of Use Application, which must be paid by cash or check. You will need to provide the address of the location you plan to use and state what type of business you are planning to open. You will be given a list of site plan requirements and a guide to sign regulations.
- Visit the Fire Inspections Department & the Building Inspections Department to find out about code requirements and inspections.
- Submit applicable plans to staff.
- Your plans will be reviewed by staff. You will be contacted if there are any changes that need to be made to your plans. When you plans are approved, you will be issued a Zoning Compliance Permit. Once you have completed work to your property according to your plans you will be issue a Certificate of Zoning Compliance.
2. Contact the Water Resources Technical Service Department concerning requirements for a Wastewater Discharge Permit (for all businesses) and grease control requirements (if you will be preparing food) by calling 336-672-0892 x 217.
3. If you plan to sell/serve alcoholic beverages in your business you will need an ABC Permit. Contact the NC Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission at 919-779-0700 for details. You must also obtain a city license from the Inspections Department after receiving your state ABC permit. You will need to pay your city license fee by cash or check.