Starting a Business
Constructing a New Business Site
- Visit City Hall and talk to Planning & Zoning Staff. They will assess your needs and provide guidance.
- The City’s Staff Technical Review Committee will meet with you so that you can understand regulations related to Planning & Zoning, Building Inspections, Fire Inspections, Engineering, Public Works, Police, Fire, Water Resources and Environmental Services.
- Submit your Zoning Compliance Permit Application, applicable plans and fees ($250, payable by cash or check).
- Your plans will be reviewed and approved by staff.
- Attend a pre-construction conference with staff and receive your building permits (fees payable by cash or check).
- During the construction phase you will work with Building & Fire Inspectors.
- The Certificate of Occupancy will be issued by Building Inspections and a Zoning Certificate will be issued by the Planning & Zoning Department.
- When you are ready, you may obtain your Business Privilege License. If you are opening a new retail, wholesale or manufacturing business you will need to complete a Statement for Gross Receipts certifying your anticipated gross sales and/or receipts for the coming year. You will need to pay your license fee by cash or check.